Brief description of fishery:
The Stanford End fishery is over a mile of the River Loddon, in two separate stretches, each with its own car park. Its main species are chub to over 6lb, perch to over 2lb, and barbel to over 15lb. Pike, dace, roach and trout are also present. Weed can be a problem and there are extensive beds of bulrushes (genuine bulrush, growing on gravel, not giant reed mace which grows on silt).
The prohibited area must not be fished (see insert on map). No dogs. Trout fishing, browns and the odd rainbow, (artificial fly only) from 1st April during coarse fish close season. Cattle, including bulls, can be present on the downstream length, they are docile, but there is plenty of room so just give them a wide berth. Night fishing is permitted.
If you have any questions or you would like further information on this water please contact the fishery manager.
- Always display your car permit in your windscreen
- No dogs. This is farmland and the owners will not allow them.
- Hooks must be barbless for size 16 & larger. Smaller hooks may be barbless or micro-barbed.
- Keepnets are allowed but for silverfish only, no barbel or game fish.
- Respect the farmers’ fields and stick to the paths.
- Ensure that gates are kept closed and locked at all times.
- Absolutely no fishing in the out of bounds areas (clearly displayed on map)
- Night Fishing
- Night fishing is allowed
- Cars must be parked in the designated car parks only (see map).
- Close season
- No coarse fishing is allowed between 15th March and 15th June. However, fly only trout fishing is allowed from 1st April to 30th September. All fish must be returned alive.
Stanford End Fishery lies roughly halfway between Jct 11 of the M4 and Jct 5 of the M3.
From the M4 take the A33 south towards Basingstoke, at the roundabout at the end of the dual carriageway take the third exit, signposted ‘Wellington Farm Shop’. Go down the hill and just before the bridge, turn right into Barge Lane, car park ‘A’ is immediately on your right.
From the M3 take the B3349 north through Hook, past Hound Green, straight over the next roundabout, first exit at the next roundabout, which brings you to the A33 roundabout, second exit past the Wellington Farm Shop, which brings you to car park ‘A’ as above.
To access the fishery from car park ‘A’, walk over the bridge, where there is an obvious path leading to the river.
For car park ‘B’, drive up Barge Lane, past the large farmhouse, the car park is on your left near the crest of the hill. The river is not visible from the car park, to access the river climb the gate and make a beeline to a scaffold pole stuck in the ground, stay on this course until you meet the river. Do not deviate from this course, and when on the riverbank stay as close to the river as possible, to avoid incurring the wrath of the farmer. There are usually well-behaved cattle in these fields.
Car park ‘A’ ///bunny.perfumed.overhead
Car park ‘B’ ///thick.essay.carefully
Nearest postcode – RG7 1SY
Access & Parking
Parking must only be in the Society car parks.